This site is under construction.










Sunday, September 12, 2010

Childhood Toys and Joys

From Windows of the Soul: Experiencing God in New Ways by Ken Gire, page 73.

[Note: this is a poem, I hope that Blogger doesn't lose the formatting. If it does, my sincere apologies to Mr. Gire.]

A Prayer for Joy  (by Ken Gire)

Help me, O God,

To listen to what it is that makes my heart glad
      and to follow where it leads.
May joy, not guilt,
     Your voice, not the voices of others,
     Your will, not my willfulness,
          be the guides that lead me to my vocation.
Help me to unearth the passions of my heart
     that lay buried in my youth.
And help me to go over that ground again and again
     until I can hold in my hands,
          hold and treasure,
               Your calling on my life...

Jean says:

Lord, I've read this poem/prayer to You (and to my own heart) dozens--maybe hundreds---of times. Help me to listen to the desires You have placed in my heart. Help me to pay attention to those things that bring me joy when I do them. Help me to be alert to the skills and gifts You have incorporated into who I am.

And that part about my childhood, Lord...help me to remember and embrace those things that captivated my heart and my enthusiasm during those growing years. Those things can point me in Your direction for my life even now.

And, Father, while I'm asking, will You please help me to recognize and encourage those things I see in the lives of my children and grandchildren, those things that bring them joy? Help me to enthusiastically encourage them to keep on enjoying those things as they grow, and not to pack them away with their toys.

All of this, Lord, I believe will point me in Your direction for my life. These things that make my heart glad will help me to find Your purposes for my existence here and into eternity.

God says:

All too often, Little One, those childhood pleasures fade away with "adulthood." Like your favorite toys they get stowed away, tucked into a corner of your heart, and forgotten. We can't let that happen to you.

Remember all those sketches you made leaning, alone, against a pine tree?

Remember those hot summer afternoons and all of those house floor plans you so painstakingly drew? To scale? Complete with furniture arrangements?

Do you recall how much you enjoyed setting the dinner table? Preparing meals?

How about all of those 4-H projects organizing the kitchen cabinets and your dresser drawers? You had the tidiest closet on your block. And no dust bunnies ever found a resting place under your bed.

Games you played. Fun things you did on rainy days and sweltering afternoons. They were windows into your personality and your abilities, Little One. Can you see how they all pointed to an organizer, an administrator?

By the same token hobbies and activities are also windows into the hearts of your children and grandchildren. Keep those windows clean and clear. Find what they enjoy doing most, what they are gifted to do, and give them all the encouragement you can to pursue those gifts.

For my glory.