This site is under construction.










Monday, August 23, 2010

God's Promises

From Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges, page86.


So the giving of thanks in a disappointing or difficult situation is always to be done by faith in the promises of God. It is not a matter of doing it by sheer will power. If we do that, we are giving thanks with our lips but not with our hearts. But as we cling to the promises of God, we can say, "Father, the circumstance I am in now is difficult and painful. I would not have chosen it, but You in Your love and wisdom chose it for me. You intend it for my good, and so by faith I thank You for the good You are going to do in my life through it. Help me to genuinely believe this and be able to thank You from my heart."

...So in summary, we should seek to develop the habit of continually giving thanks to God. We should above all thank Him for our salvation and for the opportunities we have for spiritual growth and ministry. We should thank Him frequently for the abundance of material blessings He has provided. And then, when circumstances go awry and do not turn out the way we had hoped, we should, by faith, thank Him for what He is doing in the circumstances to transform us more and more into the likeness of His Son.

Jean says:

By faith in the promises of God.

Lord, I am so glad that Your promises ARE true and that they NEVER fail. From my puny human perspective it sometimes appears that there is no way a certain situation can turn out for my good, but Your promises to me ALWAYS take precedence over circumstances. Always.

I believe that. By faith.

So, when everything around me doesn't look promising, I can rest securely in Your promises. I can find peace in knowing that You know what's happening to me and around me, and that You will bring good out of it for me, and glory for Yourself.

I remember when I was younger doing so many things by sheer will. Handling disappointments, facing difficulties, staying the course with rock solid determination. I found out that years of facing problems that way can turn my heart to stone. It is not by my will or determination that life is manageable. It is by Your power working in me and in the circumstances around me.

You can change the circumstances to suit Your will and plan. Or, You can change me through the circumstances. Or, You can do both.

God says:

My promises ARE true, Little One. When you build your life on them you can rest assured your life will withstand the tornado force winds of difficulty when they come.

It may seem that everything around you is being ripped to shreds, but you are safe, in the hollow of My hands. I promise.

You have My Word on it.