This site is under construction.










Sunday, August 15, 2010

Everyday, Ordinary Ungodliness

From Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges, excerpts from Chapter Seven "Ungodliness" pages 53 - 61.

"...one comment I often hear is that pride is the root cause of all of them [sins]. I believe there is another sin that is even more basic, more widespread, and more apt to be the root cause of our other sins. That is the sin of ungodliness, of which we are all guilty to some degree.

...ungodliness and wickedness are not the same...Ungodliness describes an attitude toward God, while unrighteousness refers to sinful actions in thought, word, or deed...

Ungodliness may be defined as living one's everyday life with little or no thought of God, or of God's will, or of God's glory, or of one's dependence on God...

...Everything we do is to be done to the glory of God. That is the mark of a godly person...

...It's not that we consciously or deliberately put God out of our minds. We just ignore Him. He is seldom in our thoughts...

...Our goal in the pursuit of godliness should be to grow more in our conscious awareness that every moment of our lives is lived in the presence of God; that we are responsible to Him and dependent on Him. This goal would include a growing desire to please Him and glorify Him in the most ordinary activities of life...

...What would you do differently in your various activities of the day if you were seeking to do all to the glory of God?

...Let us then seek to be as mindful of Him as He is of us.

Jean says:

I love the thought that I am always, always, always on Your mind, God.


Help me to be as mindful of You as You are of me.

God says:

Dear Little One,

I have searched you and I know you well.

I know when you sit and when you rise.

I know your every thought.

I know when and where and why you go in and out, and when you lie down.

I am familiar with all your ways, Little One.

Before you utter a word I know your thoughts completely.

I surround you and protect you; I go before you and guard you from behind.

I have laid My hand on your small life.

Such thoughts of Mine are too wonderful, too high for you to comprehend.



Can you run and hide from My Spirit, Little One?

Can you escape My presence? No.

If you wing your way into the heavens you will find that I am already there.

If you tunnel your way into the depths of the earth I will be there waiting for you.


If you rise with the wings of the dawn or travel to distant shores

You will find that I have gone before you, so that I can hold your hand

And show you the way.



If you try to hide in the deepest darkness,

Even in the midnights of your life,

I will bring to you My Light.

I created you, Little One.

I designed every cell of your body before you burst into life

Inside your mother's womb.

You are My most awesome creation.

I knew every micro-cellular part of you

Before your life began.

I planned and ordained every day, every moment of your life

Before you came to be.

My thoughts are so much greater than yours, Little One.

You cannot count them nor keep track of them anymore than

You can count the grains of sand upon every shore,

Or upon all the hills I created with the power of My Word.

You are Mine, Little One.

You are with Me now and forever.

You want Me to destroy wickedness from the earth.

You want Me to annihilate every one who misuses My Holy Name.

Someday, Little One. Someday.


But for right now My spotlight shines into the depths of your life.

Right now I peer into the tangled web of your thoughts.

Right now I am searching out the sin in your life so that

I may lead you in My Everlasting Way.                                         [See Psalm 139]