This site is under construction.










Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Jewishness of Jesus

From:  Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith by Ann Spangler & Lois Tverberg,  pages 18-19

" Similarly, instead of undermining our faith, looking at the Jewish background of the Bible deepens our understanding of Jesus and his times, increasing our awe as we look more closely at this extraordinary rabbi and his astonishing claims...

As Christians we can never forget that the Bible--from Genesis through Revelation--is essentially a Jewish document. Once we begin to read it from a Jewish perspective, our experience of it will be transformed, ...

Jean said:

Oh, how I want to more deeply understand You, Lord Jesus! I want to bathe in the full meaning of each word You uttered with Your human mouth. I want to relish each expression You used and get the full humor, the full sting, the total tenderness with which You spoke as You walked the dusty roads of this earth.

Like Paul said in Philippians 3:10, Lord, I have purposed in my life to know You--to move through my life becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with You personally. I want our relationship, Lord, to be personal and intimate. I want to understand You as thoroughly as this small brain can.

I want the experience of reading Your written Word to be transformed from reading a dry document to reading lively words that breathe truth to me personally. But I also want the experience of reading Your written Word to transform ME.

God said:

Open your ears, Little One, to hear My truth as I spoke it thousands of years ago. To understand its many colors and shades of culture, of era, of location.

Open your mind, Little One, to receive and understand, and believe My truth the way I breathed it into human ears and onto living pages.

Open your heart, Little One, to accept My truth, to internalize it, to act upon it like those who heard it with their human ears when I originally spoke it.

Open your life, Little One, to be transformed.