This site is under construction.










Sunday, January 24, 2010

Surrendering Those Shortcuts

From The Sacred Echo by Margaret Feinstein, excerpts from pages 117 & 119

Yet surrender means giving over everything--including the micro-things. Recently I've been experiencing one of those seasons where God is reminding me that submitting to him means avoiding the shortcuts. The voice echoes throughout everyday life.

Surrender.

Take more time with this person.

Be extra generous in your gift.

Be completely honest with them.

Love your enemies, yes, even that one...

When I pray from a surrendered perspective, my prayers begin to shift from my personal wishes to his will being done. Instead of getting something from God, I find myself wanting to give to him in adoration, praise, and thanksgiving. Instead of ending prayer on empty, I find myself filled with the presence of God.

Jean said:

Have I been taking shortcuts, Lord? Have I been trying to skirt the painful parts of my spiritual growth? Have been trying to squeeze so many projects, so many people, so many assignments into my days that I think it's necessary to take shortcuts? To pray a little faster? To talk a little more & listen a little less? To skip over certain parts of the journey You have planned for me?

Do I find myself half-way listening to other people as they pour out their hearts to me? As they meander all around their problem and give me minute details of their issue does my mind jump over their ramblings to start figuring out a solution before they finish explaining their problem? Do I start formulating my answers while other people are still asking their questions?

Shortcuts. Am I trying to jump from point A to points D or E in my relationship to You?

Shortcuts. My Daddy always said they lead to shoddy work, poor quality.

I don't want to stand before you as a thrown-together, half-baked, scaled-down version of the eternal person You want me to become, Lord Jesus. Stop me in my tracks when I step off Your path onto my own shortcut.

God said:

Didn't your daddy also say, "Anything worth doing is worth doing well?" I said a similar thing in the book of Ecclesiastes, "Whatsoever your hands find to do, do it with all your might."

I don't do shoddy work, Little One. I pour My all into you.

And I want the same from you. Your all.

Surrender.