This site is under construction.










Friday, August 21, 2009

Prayer for Peace

JEAN SAID:

The other night I was reminded of something terribly important. But I had tucked it somehow into a back corner of my mind and forgotten it was there.

Someone reminded me how faithful and diligent I need to be in praying for our American military personnel AFTER THEY COME HOME, Lord. I pray for their safety while they are on active duty. I pray for their reacclimation to home. I pray for their health and for their families.

But I forget to pray for their grief. The men and women who give up so much of our every day pleasures to serve as guardians for us all, must often endure memories I can't even imagine.

Many grieve for friends who will never be coming home again. Or they grieve for the things they have seen and done.

Whatever the theatre, on whichever continent they fight, the men and women of our military need our prayers long after they hang up their BDUs and stuff their bags into a closet at home. Many will spend the rest of their lives living with loss and guilt and pain that I cannot understand.

Oh, God, be a healing salve to their spirits. Soothe their minds. Help them deal with the memories that haunt them. Take the ugly images away and replace them with Your love, Your peace, Your comfort, Your hope.

You know the names of the men who reminded me of this, Lord. You know their inexpressible need right now. I ask You in Jesus' lovely name to pour the healing oil of Your personal peace over their wounded spirits.

GOD SAID:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27)

Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!