This site is under construction.










Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Waiting on the Lord

JEAN SAID:
Bro. M. preached last Sunday on the first few and last few verses of Isaiah 40. Such a familiar passage:

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

As he talked about waiting on You, Lord, being an active rather than a passive thing an image popped into my head.

For a few years we had a beautiful boxer named Butch. He was one wonderful dog, Lord. We inherited him fully grown, fully trained. He was the most loyal, most protective, most obedient, most faithful, most loving dog we've ever owned. Actually, Lord, Butch owned us-or at least our hearts.
Last Sunday I could see him clearly sitting in his perfect position at my feet. He would sit and wait. His eyes followed my every move. If I walked across the room he followed, then sat with impeccable posture waiting for my command.

If I were eating something that he loved as a treat he never behaved with rudeness or greed. He waited, eyes glued to that goody, for me to offer him some. Then he didn't snatch it and run. He took it gently, and thanked me profusely after he enjoyed every crumb.

When our daughter was a baby Butch stayed within inches of her as she played. He watched and waited for her to get too near a "no-no" then he'd nudge her away, or position himself between her and the danger, and bark for me to rescue her.

That's the picture I see when I read the words, "wait on the Lord."

That's the way I want to do it, Lord. I want to be the most loyal, most protective, most obedient, most faithful, most loving child You've ever had.

GOD SAID:

I made Butch, you know. I dreamed up dogs out of my imagination. I made them loyal. I made them courageous. I gave them the ability to love people unconditionally.

I can think of a few people who could take some lessons from dogs like Butch. Looks like you already have, Little One.