This site is under construction.










Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Breath of the Lord

JEAN SAID:

I'm still in Isaiah 40, Lord. It's beautiful poetry. And it's also beautiful truth.

"All flesh is grass,
And all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
Because the breath of the LORD blows upon it;
Surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever."

Breath.


I've read and been told numerous times that the words used in Scripture for "wind" and "breath" and "spirit" are closely related--sometimes the identical word. And I can see why, Lord. It is our breath that keeps us alive. Our lungs fill up with air. Our blood vessels carry the oxygen in that air into our hearts. Then more vessels carry the oxygen to every part of our bodies including the cells of the heart and lungs themselves that are bringing the life-giving breath to the rest of the body.

It is our spirits that make us living beings like You, Lord. The air we inhale makes us living bodies. Your spirit breathed upon us makes us living souls.

When I stand and watch a hayfield undulating with the wind I can imagine Your breath blowing across it. The stalks of grain sway and ripple as if You are gently blowing over them like candles on a cake.

Make my heart like those hay fields, Lord. Make it responsive to Your slightest breath over my life. As the ripened hay moves to the rhythm of the wind, make my heart and soul move to the rhythm of Your spirit, Lord.

GOD SAID:

Can you feel it, Little One? Can you feel the rhythm of My breathing over your life? My calm, restful breathing that brings a steady cadence to your days? The steady inhale and exhale of My spirit bringing you life and health, peace and rest.

Shhhh. Be still and listen.