This site is under construction.










Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Jewishness of Jesus

JEAN SAID:

I'm reading another new book. Sitting At The Feet of Rabbi Jesus by Ann Spangler & Lois Tverberg is fascinating to me, Lord.

I know-I use that word too often, don't I? Fascinating, that is.

This book is filled with little cultural nuggets about Judaism primarily of the First Century. It's making so many things that Jesus said come fully alive for me. This knowledge is adding a whole new dimension to Jesus' parables and sermons, even His miracles and casual conversations.

[As if You've ever had a "casual" conversation in all of time, Lord.]

Many references & innuendos that Jesus used would have been immediately and clearly understood by His First Century Jewish audience. I flounder around mulling over His words trying desperately to understand them. Well, Lord, the things in this book are helping me to grasp the pictures behind Jesus' words more clearly.

I probably won't be able to resist the urge to talk about a few of them this week.

Can I just say, Lord, in the style of a Jewish brakha' (blessing & praise)?

"Blessed is He who has given the authors & publishers of this book wisdom & foresight to put these truths into print for dummies like me."

GOD SAID:

Talk about a generation gap! 2000+ years and half a world of distance between your generation and Jesus' generation makes for a lot of confusion, I know. Understanding the cultural context of My words spoken through My Son, Jesus, has to help you, Little One. It has to shed light-My light-on My words to you and to every generation since Jesus said them.

I accept your blessing, your praise, Little One. And I am pleased with your effort and with your heart's intent.