This site is under construction.










Tuesday, June 9, 2009

God Stoops Down

Who is like the Lord our God – the One enthroned on high, who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth? (Psalm 113:5 – 6)

She stood right in the middle of the mall looking at the floor and twisting the hem of her blue fleece jacket in and out of the fingers of her left hand. Every few seconds she glanced up at the faces of the grownups looming over her, then immediately back down to the floor. Dozens of giant strangers passed by her. Not one seemed to even notice this tiny person sobbing, frightened, and alone. But twenty years of teaching kindergarten had taught me to recognize that desperate look on her face, Lord. I could tell that not only was she alone, she was lost.

I approached her slowly and stopped two or three feet in front of her. A drop of fear trickled down her cheek and splattered on the toe of her pink tennis shoe.

"Hi,” I whispered. “Can I help you, Sweetie?” She glanced at my face. She stood there quivering, helpless and so very small. I could almost see the thoughts behind those coffee colored eyes: You’re not my Mommy. But where is she? Can I trust you, lady? She didn’t move nor say a single word. She looked down at the floor again and twisted the hem of her jacket into knots.

So I bent down. I kneeled on the floor right there in the hustle and bustle of the mall. The toes of my expensive new shoes folded under me. The hem of my freshly dry-cleaned dress puddled on the dirty carpet.

“Are you lost?” I asked. I reached out my hand toward her. Then, she ran straight into my arms. She buried her cherub face in my chest and whimpered like a wounded puppy. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her for a moment. Then, I stood up and lifted her above the crowd of adults busy with their own lives, and carried her to the safety of the mall security office.

That all happened several years ago, Lord. But I remember that frightened little face clearly.

Reading Psalm 113 reminded me of that little girl. It tells me that You do the same thing for us.

That Psalm tells me that You are higher than the highest. You are so high that You must bend over to look at heaven. I cannot fathom how great that is, how immense You must be. Hallelujah!

That Psalm tells me that You also stoop down and lift the humble poor of this earth to sit in noble places. That thought amazes me. Though by nature You loom over us like a giant, yet You bend down to us and lift us from the fearful lostness of this world.

Like my little friend in the mall we are helpless, frightened, alone, Lord. And like a gentle stranger You come down to meet us in the confusion. You get down on our eye level so that You can communicate with us. You get down in the dirt of this world so You can rescue us. That truth makes me want to shout and sing verses 1 and 2 of the same Psalm, “Praise the name of the Lord. Let the name of the Lord be praised both now and forever.”

You didn’t just reach down to us. You bent over and stooped way down into the dirt. You became dust for us--for me. Now You wait with welcoming arms spread wide open for us to fling ourselves into Your care.

You are so wonderful, God. And we are so helpless on our own.

GOD SAID:

Didn't your heart just break for that little girl? You couldn't help yourself; you just had to reach out to her, to help her. You don't want to think about the awful things that could have happened to her.

That's just how I feel, Little One, when I see people wandering, lost, confused, frightened, alone. I want to rescue every one.

Oh, if only they would rush into My arms instead of trying to find their own way they, too, would have a happy ending to their stories.