This site is under construction.










Friday, May 8, 2009

The Future

JEAN SAID:

The future is a great big question mark, isn't it, Lord? To us, I mean. Last night I watched a Tangle video someone sent me. It was filled with statistics and population growth projections for Europe, Canada, and the U.S. I assume it was authoritative and accurate. But it made me stop and remember that our futures are not always subject to projections. We can't always predict what will happen accurately. Why? Because You hold the future in Your hands, don't You? We forget that You factor into every equation.

I could become anxious and frightened about the future if I were to dwell on those kinds of predictions. I could worry over the world my grand children are going to live in if I let myself. But I refuse to give myself permission to fret over the future.

I choose, rather, to put my confidence in the truth that You hold the future. You control the future. I believe that You plot and manipulate events through time. I believe that those events will lead us all to a certain ultimate point in the future when time and history will cease. You will reach out and stop the hands of time, and this age will come to an end on this earth.

Then heaven and earth will be re-born. They will be made anew and Your timeless ages will begin. And when all that we know of this earth is demolished, and a new era begins on earth and in heaven You will remain. You will still be the same God, the same Lord, the same Master of All.

Though I have to remind myself sometimes, I choose to trust You with our future. I don't want my children and grand children and future heirs to live through hard times. But I know that those difficult days may come for them. I don't want to face persecution or famine or pestilence myself. But I know those days may be in my near future.

So, I must trust you. I must trust that whatever kind of future is ahead for me and for those I love, You will be in that future. You will care for us and provide for us regardless of what the future holds.

Besides, I have enough stuff to worry and fret about right here and now in the present. I surely don't need to borrow any from the future, Lord.

GOD SAID:

A wise choice, Little One. Jesus asked His disciples, "Can any of you add one cubit to his height by worrying?" No. Worrying, being fearful and anxious can't add anything positive to your life. It can only add heart ache and poor digestion to your problems.

Remember that old song that says:

I don't know about tomorrow.
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future
For I know what Jesus said.
For today He walks beside me.
And He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand.
But I know Who holds tomorrow.
And I know Who holds my hand.