This site is under construction.










Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mercy Me!

JEAN SAID:

This past weekend I received an email from J.'s Cousin B. He sent me a link to some photos he has posted-photos of a recent relief effort in KY. B. and other members of his church in GA participated with other Christians from SC in providing meals for victims of those crippling winter storms that plowed through mid-America recently. I heard about the many folks without power and water, but it never occurred to me that they would need disaster relief. I'm so glad it did occur to other Christians, Lord.

The weather is strictly Your department, I know. And I'm glad of that. The past 2 or 3 years, though, You've been sending some dramatic & challenging weather our way. I see people struggling, people dying in these storms, and the aftermath of destruction in their paths, and I find myself wondering why You send them-or allow them to happen.


Even though I don't understand, I trust. I trust You to always bring something good out of destruction. I trust You to weave Your plan through the threads of wind and rain, drought and ice, fire and flood.

One good thing that comes from these disasters is what I see in B.'s email. The suffering of our neighbors brings out the best in people like B.

He said in his email, "Going to Moss Point MS during the Katrina aftermath was a life altering experience. I said then (2005) that I would always try to go when I got a chance."

Tragedy stirs our hearts, activates our humanity, I think. It awakens our compassion and it stirs our dormant sense of gratitude, too, Lord.

Other people's disasters bring out the best-the God-likeness in us. Like B. said, "It was truly a blessing and honor to be able to serve."

I want to thank you, Lord, for so many selfless, generous people like Cousin B.

GOD SAID:

This is how you can know what love is, Little One. This is how you can see what love really is-love in bluejeans and tee shirts.

It's called mercy, Little One. Most everybody gets their chance to both show it, and to receive it in their lifetime.

It's a good idea to remember that the size cup you use to give mercy away will be the same size cup others will use to give mercy back to you.