This site is under construction.










Monday, February 9, 2009

Image

JEAN SAID:

Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps, is in the news again, Lord. He has tarnished his squeaky-clean Olympic image. The USA Olympic Swimming Committee have suspended him. Sponsors are dropping their support. Kellogg's has withdrawn their endorsement contract. How difficult it must be to live in the spotlight, Lord. To have the eyes of millions of people watching your every move and judging whether or not you are worthy of their homage.

But, on the other side of that, is the truth that people who have attained that kind of status, people who are recognized as leaders, ARE responsible for behaving in a way that is worthy of homage. Influence = responsibility.

We are all pathetically hypocritical about it, I think, Lord. We expect much from others but excuse those same sins in ourselves. My childhood pastor used to say, "Every time you point your finger at someone else you have three more pointing back at you!"

Help me not to point an accusing finger at others, Lord. Never to expect more from other people - even leaders - than I do from myself.

Lord, I don't want a squeaky-clean image; I want a squeaky-clean life. Make me pure in my actions, my words, my thoughts. Not so that I can appear to be perfect to others. Rather, that I can please You with a holy life. I can't do that by my own wit or will. Only You living out Your life through me can accomplish that.

Holy Spirit, fill me to the brim and overflowing. Live out Your power and Your grace in me.

GOD SAID:

Do you remember this old song, Little One? Sing along with me. Hum it all day long.

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds my sin and my guilt.
Yonder on Calvary's mount out poured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.

Grace, grace,
God's grace.
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within.
Grace, grace,
God's grace.
Grace that is greater than all my sin.
(Grace Greater Than Our Sin by Julia H. Johnston & Daniel B. Towner)