This site is under construction.










Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Soldier of the Cross

JEAN SAID:

I'm humming an old hymn, Lord. It says:

Am I a soldier of the cross?
A fol'wer of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause
Or blush to speak His name?

Our son, D., is a soldier, Lord. He loved being part of the Army. He thrives on the discipline, the dedication, the camaraderie, the mission-driven days, the allegiance to a cause. As a civilian he is a police officer. Same thing. He loves being part of the solution to social ills. He loves taking up a cause. He loves protecting the innocent & bringing evil to justice. Being a positive force in this world.

When he's on the job he's tremendously focused. Just like he was on the battlefield.

Am I that focused on being a good soldier of the cross?

Amy Carmichael said this, Lord:

Soldiers have not time for everything. 'I have not time for anything outside my profession,' a young officer said once, and in measure that is true. We can't be entangled in the affairs of this life if we are to be real soldiers. By its affairs I mean its chatter and its ways of thinking and deciding questions, its whole aspect and trend.

Was she on the right track, Lord? Do I get entangled with the "chatter" of this life so that I become ineffective in spiritual things? Do I get caught up in the world's ways of thinking and deciding? Am I so focused on my day-to-day business and busy-ness that my relationship to You becomes extra baggage?

I don't want that. I don't want to live enmeshed in this physical life until You force me to leave it behind. I want to live like a spiritual being who happens to be temporarily confined in a physical body. I want my focus to be You.

GOD SAID:

Paul called it being "heavenly minded." I told him to "set your affections on things above." Jesus warned you not to "put your hand to the plow and look back." In Your walk with Me keep looking forward, moving forward. And keep looking up, Little One.

When You live on earth with your focus on heaven and eternity, you will be a good soldier in this life and in the next.