This site is under construction.










Friday, October 10, 2008

Jethro

JEAN SAID:

I'm still puttering through the book "11", Lord. I'm reading that I need a Jethro from time to time in my life. Jethro was Moses' father-in-law. When Moses whined about how hard his job of leading millions of people was Jethro eyeballed him and said something like, "Well, then get organized. Choose some well-qualified men to help you. Implement a new strategy. Quit trying to do it all by yourself." (That's my liberal paraphrase of it anyway.)

"11" says I need a Jethro every once in a while to give me a good kick in the pants. Someone to wake me up and push me forward. Someone to bless me, not flatter me, as I live in the mission you have given me at any given time in my life. A Jethro pinches me when I'm falling asleep at the wheel.

Moses' Jethro wasn't part of the community of faith. He wasn't a believer. "11" says that often my Jethro will be someone outside the community of faith, too. Maybe a boss who is a true leader. Maybe an editor on a project. Maybe a nosey neighbor. Maybe anyone who isn't intimidated by me and who will just spit the truth out without worrying about whether or not it hurts my feelings. Someone who believes God has a huge purpose for my life and is willing to nudge me into it.

I'm trying, Lord, but I can't think of anyone who is Jethroing me right now. Hmmm. There is one possibility. G. Thank You, Lord, for G. pushing me to do some things I don't especially want to do.

Mr. Sweet says "That's the ongoing challenge of the Withnesses: seeing them around you and being them to others around you." (p.70)

Who am I Jethroing? Who am I spurring on to success? Who am I standing behind giving him or her an occasional kick in the rear to keep them moving in God's direction for their life?

GOD SAID:

If you're on mission for me, Little One, you must keep moving - FORWARD. You can't succumb to discouragement or loneliness. You can't retire from My mission for your life. You can't curl up in the fetal position and say, "Find someone else to finish this job, Lord. Stick me with a fork. I'm done."

Look harder, Little One. There's someone in your life right now who keeps nudging you when you really want to just give up. Ah-hah! Her name just popped into your head, didn't it? Amazing what happens when you s-t-o-p and t-h-i-n-k.

BTW-you're welcomed for G. and for "her," too.