This site is under construction.










Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Servant of All

JEAN SAID:

I'm still reading about Peter, Lord. In the past when I've read that Jesus sent Peter & John out to prepare the stuff for the Passover (the Last Supper) I didn't give it a lot of thought. I thought He was giving them that big responsibility because they were the leaders of the 12 disciples. Wrong!

I was thinking in 21st Century American terms. Jesus wasn't giving them kudos because they had done such a great job on some other project. He was sending the 2 men who were the obvious leaders of the group out to do the task of a low-ranking house servant. He sent them to run errands for Him. Talk about a lesson in humility!

And that evening Jesus gave them the second session in their seminar on servant-leadership. He dressed down & took up the towel to do the job of the lowest-ranking house servant. He unlaced their sandals & washed their smelly feet.

I remember a year or two ago being part of a foot-washing ceremony at the Crisis Pregnancy Center near my home, Lord. It was an humbling experience to have the administrators of that organization - those godly women - remove my shoes and slip my feet into a basin of water while praying specifically for me. It was a life-changing moment.

I can't help but believe that Peter and John and the others experienced that same kind of inner change that night.

GOD SAID:

If you desire to be the greatest parent or preacher, writer or waiter, president or patrol officer, you must first become the servant of everyone in your life. It's as simple as that. But it's a difficult simple thing, isn't it? Washing the feet, so to speak, of those who adore you. Those who misunderstand you. Those who are constantly sticking their feet into their own mouths. Those who betray you. Choosing to be the servant of all.