This site is under construction.










Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Enlarge My Heart

JEAN SAID:

Lord, I was reading in I Peter today. Peter tells us to be clear-minded and self controlled so that we can pray with earnest and wisdom. Then he says "above all love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."

There are so many people I love, Lord. Help me to love them deeply. To love them without expecting anything from them in return. To love them so much that what is good for them is always what I want. To love them so lavishly that that I'm willing to risk my heart for each one.

And then, there are millions of people sharing this earth with me at this moment that I don't know. I've never met them nor even heard of them. But somebody, somewhere, loves them. They are dear to someone else. Each one is dear to you, God. Somehow, Lord, can you enlarge my heart so that I love these people, too?

If I concentrate I can see faces of people I do know, but I don't love them yet. People who rub me the wrong way. Or people who disgust me. Or people who dislike me and treat me rudely. They're difficult to love. Lord, will you change my attitude so that I love those people whether they love me or not? So that I do what is good for those people whether they appreciate it or not? So that I am willing to welcome them into my life whether I approve of them or not?

GOD SAID:

I can do that. I can make your little heart large enough to love millions of people. But it will be expensive to you. You'll have to throw away a lot of the stuff that fills your heart right now to make room for all that love. Are you ready to do that? Are you ready to let go of your fear and anxiety? Are you ready to let go of greed and selfcenteredness? Are you willing to throw out your prejudices and pridefulness? Are you ready to drop your self-protectiveness and make yourself vulnerable to others? Are you ready to sacrifice your agenda and to be inconvenienced? Love is expensive. Look what it cost Me.