This site is under construction.










Monday, January 14, 2008

The Right Focus

JEAN SAID:
Way back when I was a teenager my Dad took it upon himself to teach me how to drive. It was a character building experience for both of us, Lord. I can hear him now reminding (for the 1200 th time) "Focus your eyes where you want to go. If you're in a spin focus your eyes where you want to go, not on the road spinning under you. If you want to go straight, focus your eyes straight ahead. If you look off to the right or left you're going to wind up in the ditch or on the wrong side of the road."

My P.E. instructors tried the same tactic for throwing a softball, running a race, and shooting an arrow. Focus on your intended goal. The same truth holds in my spiritual life, doesn't it, Lord?

In II Corinthians 4:18 I read, "look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen." Lord, I want to take my eyes off this world, off possessions, off position and power and especially off problems.

Jesus, I want to focus my eyes and my heart on you and on eternity. On things that will last: on people, and on my faith in Christ, my hope in Christ, and the love of Christ. I want to look beyond this world into heaven every day. These things are eternal.

GOD SAID:
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth [the sorrows and the successes] will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace."